Thursday, October 28, 2010

World Series living on the West Coast


I should start out by apologizing to my friends who are avid Giants fans because of my complete doubt about San Francisco's chances in the World Series. Sorry. Now having said that, don't expect many more. I will be more careful where I place my faith next time around. The Giants proved a lot to me tonight. Not only did they shell one of the game's best playoff performers in Cliff Lee, but they also shattered any hope I had that this series would a low scoring affair. Neither bullpen held up in the late innings of the game and that is where one of the Giants' greatest strengths was.
It was supposed to be a game of epic proportions. Cliff Lee vs. Tim Lincecum, but after jumping out to a quick 2-0 lead I was certain that Texas had a hold on this one and that perhaps Cliff Lee was already building his W.S. MVP resume, but alas, the Giants fought back and fought hard. The game quickly turned into a romping as Lee wasn't even able to make it out of the 5th inning after giving up 6 earned runs. 2 of those runs came on a three run homer by Juan Uribe off Darren O' Day, but things didn't stop there. The Rangers then got to San Francisco ace Tim Lincecum making it an 8-4 game. After Texas reliever Mark Lowe gave up 3 more runs later in the game, the Giants' bullpen began unraveling as Ramon Ramirez gave up 2 runs n only 1/3 on an inning.
It was clearly a wild one, but when the dust settled, the Giants walked away with an 11-7 victory over the much favored Texas Rangers. I now have learned my lesson to bet so boldly against the Giants, but don't expect things to go swimmingly San Francisco, Texas isn't going to go away and if they somehow figure out a way to pitch more safely then then Giants could have a problem on their hands when the series goes to Arlington.

by Joey DeClercq

No comments:

Post a Comment